Thursday, April 22, 2010

The NFL Draft...Do we really need 3 days?



The NFL Draft is here again.  The draft "experts" have had months to make the wrong predictions and the Raiders "reached" as usual, but hey, at least it wasn't for an undersized wideout (they opted instead for a middle linebacker without elite athleticism at 8).  So pretty much same old same old.

What is new this year, however, is that the NFL draft is now in prime-time.  Is this really necessary?  No. 

Don't get me wrong.  I LOVE football, I really do, but do we need 4 hours of coverage on Thursday (for only round 1 mind you), 6 hours of coverage on Friday and then 6 hours on Saturday?  How much of Mel, Mort, Young, and Boom can we listen to?  How many times can I hear an alleged "expert" talk about "upside" or "great feet for a big guy?"  Do I really need to know that he shows "prototypical size and strength for his position?"  I don't think so. 

What really matters is what they do on the field once the season starts.  But hey, as we all know professional sports is about money and so long as tortured fans will tune in to find out who the next "savior" of the franchise is, the draft will keep getting longer.  

Am I crazy?

P.S. I might have watched if Tebow had to sit in the green room all night!

3 comments:

  1. Tebow at 25? Really......

    ReplyDelete
  2. They also put the draft up against the NBA Playoffs and The Office/30 Rock. Thankfully most Americans have DVR.

    Oh, and watch it on the NFL Network. You can avoid Berman ("You're with me, leather!"), and Rich Eisen is pretty damn good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good point about NFL Network (and I love Mike Mayock).

    ReplyDelete