Friday, June 11, 2010

World Cup - Who You Got?


So one of our readers has an interesting discussion going on her Facebook page. She is from Poland (who did not qualify) and now is facing the dilemma of which team to support.  Her issue is that as a long suffering Polish fan, she doesn't want to back a bad team and go through all the heartache for an adopted Country.  At the same time, she is worried that she will lose some of her fan purity if she picks an amazing team like Brazil or Spain.   

I would say back a team like the Netherlands. They are real good and fun to watch, but if they were to make the semifinals (or even the quarters) it would be a little bit of a surprise. Hey, if the US don't do well, I might just have to jump on the orange train myself (I mean check out that guy below)!

What do you guys think?  Please help our friend and fellow reader decide who to support this world cup!

4 comments:

  1. Based on the first photo, BRAZIL!!!!!

    I'm a USA fan. My other team is Ireland because, well, that's where most of my ancestors come from. Sadly, Ireland didn't make the finals. Why? Because of Thierry Henry's blatant handled ball. Because of this, I will wear my Ireland gear during each and every France game I happen to catch.

    I like Ghana because of their team name. The Black Stars just sounds bad ass. I don't like Nigeria because my buddy Olisa likes Nigeria and he was hating on Ireland. I like RSA because of the vuvuzelas.

    I'd like to see PRK defect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you think the New Zealand players fear for their lives since their team name is the "All Whites?"

    ReplyDelete
  3. That all being said, there is no right way... just avoid being a bandwagon fan for the best teams (Brazil, Spain, Italy) until your teams are gone.

    For me, in 2002, Turkey was a random pick for me early on. I ended up waking up bright and early far too many a time to see them play and managed to catch the quickest goal in World Cup history against South Korea. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate South Korea. In 2002 all the referees made calls in favor of South Korea. Poland was in a group with them and was treated very unfairly.

    I am thinking of supporting one of the Central European teams such as Slovakia or Slovenia. Since I am from this region I feel connected with those teams.

    But I have a feeling I need to have a Plan B because I don't believe that those two teams will be very successful ;-)

    Argentina..?

    (This is my inaugural post, by the way, very exciting ;-)

    ReplyDelete