Monday, June 14, 2010

World Cup Update for the Jealous... including all of us

Yes, boobies are a fantastic opener to a blog post. However, this post comes from our wonderful in-country correspondent Eric. As an editor, I apologize for posting this so late. The truth is I had a hot date that may or may not have involved someone you know. Such is the adventurous life of a sports blogger. Editorialisms aside, here is Eric's take from South Africa:

I've never seen a stadium get down like I did in Pretoria this afternoon. South Africa scored a beautiful goal at the start of the second half to open scoring for the World Cup and a 1-0 lead over Mexico. I was at a Fan Fest with 30,000 other people who all went completely bonkers. The vuvuzelas were screeching, people were screaming, everyone was hugging and it was sweet pandemonium. I have video which I will upload as soon as I find a speedy enough internet connection. Celebrating with an entire country is a unique and wondrous thing.

As loud as a goal for RSA was, the silence was absolute when Mexico broke through and equalized. After the keeper had made a stunning save in the first half to keep the score nil-nil, it was quite sad seeing the Mexican goal come on a blown offsides trap. In America, it's a golden rule, pummeled into you from youth soccer, to get out of the box after a corner. So while 9 out of 10 South African players moved beyond the 18, one remained and three Mexicans moved in behind him. When the cross was delivered, it was an easy blow into the back of the net. And into the bellies of 40 million South Africans.

In the end, a 1-1 draw wasn't the worst way to start. And with France and Uruguay tying as well, the group is wide open. And after seeing all four teams playing I'm not convinced any of them are worthy of going through.

All in all though, a great first day to World Cup action. And now to dream of the US beating England tomorrow!! This game I will be there live.

No comments:

Post a Comment