Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Keywords: Washington Capitals, New York Rangers, and Crazy

According to the Sporting News, Rangers Left Wing and resident whiner Sean Avery claims that Capitals Center Brooks Laich bit him during Saturday's game. On D.C. Sports Bog, Dan Steinberg posted a video of the alleged incident. It's hard to tell when Avery's glove came off. According to a quote by Laich on the Sports Bog,

“And [Avery’s] fingers were in my mouth, and I remember thinking about that, that I’m not [going to be] stupid about biting a player. He was trying to eye gouge me, he was sticking his fingers in my mouth. But that play happened to me where somebody bit me and I thought it was a low, disrespectful, gutless play, and I’m not gonna do that.”

I'm sure we all side with Avery on this one. Hockey has really gone downhill. It used to be the kind of game where you could gouge someone's eyeball and stick your fingers in their mouth without worrying about them pulling a low-class move like clenching their teeth together.

In other news of the crazy, former Capitals Left Wing Donald Brashear was picked up by the Rangers for the 2009-2010 season and has been playing for Canada's LNAH for the current season. According to wikipedia, "...the LNAH is not known for its skill level. Its teams employ many enforcers and has a rather infamous reputation for on-ice antics that mostly include fisticuffs." A close friend and lifelong hockey fan described this league to me as , "Basically MMA on skates."

It should come as no surprise then that Donald Brashear has a deal to try his hand at cage fighting. This looks to be a logical career move for Brashear. He will likely do very well at MMA since it does not require puck handling. It definitely seems to match up his talents better than being a winger in the NHL.

No comments:

Post a Comment