Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Take this pink ribbon off my eyes

Thanks to my fellow J.B. Sports Chat blogger, Beau, for inviting everyone to watch Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals Saturday night. A sports bar sounds like a great place to go at 8:00 this Saturday. I wonder if there's anything else in the wide world of sports going on Saturday night. Anything else going on? Anything at all?

Sure, you can come out and watch Game 6 of the Western Conference Finals. Or you can watch game 1 of the Stanley Cup Finals. This year is particularly exciting for me because it's the first time since 2007 that I won't have to pick between the Penguins and the Red Wings, two teams I love to hate. It's also the battle of the comebacks. Chicago has only seen the finals once since 1973. The last time the Flyers won the Cup was in 1975, although they have made several ill-fated appearances in the finals since then. Chicago and Philly both making it to the finals this year is the most surprising comeback since Mickey Rourke in the Wrestler.

I am vexed by the oversight on my fellow blogger's invitation and I was all set to make this into a snarky, faux-feminist rant about how I'm being oppressed as the only female blogger here at J.B. Sports Chat. At once I took the omission of my favorite sport as a personal insult. But the truth is, any exclusion against me probably has less to do with me being a chick, and more about me being a hockey fan. These guys will pick their bright orange bouncing ball over my three inches of vulcanized rubber any day, and they have a history of excluding hockey. What can I say? They love balls. I respect that.

Still, my favorite sport was left out of the original invite. Even though it has been fixed now (thank you Beau) I still feel there is a score that needs to be settled. So that's right, Saturday night is now Lakers vs. Suns, Blackhawks vs. Flyers, and Kathleen vs. Beau. I will seek to settle the score throughout the night by challenging Beau to random games of both skill and chance. This may or may not include drinking games, arm wrestling, and seeing who can walk longer in stiletto heels without falling down (Beau has totally got that one.) The smart money on Saturday night is on Lakers, Blackhawks, and Kathleen.

No comments:

Post a Comment