Thursday, April 15, 2010

NBA Playoff First Round Predictions

After breaking down the LA Lakers - OKC Thunder matchup in detail, I would like to provide a quick and dirty prediction post for the first round of the NBA Playoffs.

Western Conference
(1) LAL vs (8) OKC -- Lakers in 5.
For my take on this series, click here.

(2) DAL vs (7) SAS -- Spurs in 6.
Yes, I know Dallas got better with Caron Butler, and I know the Spurs are getting older by the second. I just get the feeling Ginobili is going to absolutely dominate this series. Combining that with the always-solid play of Parker and Duncan, adding a sprinkle of George Hill and DeJuan Blair, and ignoring my hatred of Matt Bonner and the complete uselessness of Richard Jefferson leads me to pick the Spurs.

(3) PHX vs (6) POR -- Phoenix in 4.
This sucks. I wish Brandon Roy didn't tear a meniscus in his knee. I wish Greg Oden only looked 65 years old and didn't get injured like he was 65 years old. And Pryzbilla the Vanilla Gorilla, well...I got nothin'. I just like that nickname.

(4) DEN vs (5) UTA -- Utah in 7.
This is going to be the best series of the bunch. I can't wait to see Deron Williams, Carmelo Anthony, Mr. Big Shot, Carlos Boozer and Kenyon Martin battle it out. This series could go either way but will certainly (I hope, for entertainment sake) go the full seven games.

Eastern Conference
(1) CLE vs (8) CHI -- Cleveland in 5.
At least this year the 8 seed in the East was a .500 team. Just for that, I'll give them a game.

(2) ORL vs (7) CHA -- Orlando in 4.
Dwight Howard is a lot of fun to watch. Vinsanity (or, if you prefer, Half-Man Half-Amazing) has enjoyed quite a little renaissance here. I like Charlotte but Gerald Wallace and Larry Brown are no match for the Magic.

(3) ATL vs (6) MIL -- Atlanta in 6.
Atlanta is the clearly superior team here, but they seem to have lapses in performance. Don't sleep on the Bucks. Brandon Jennings is the truth (I can't believe he slipped so low in the draft) and Andrew Bogut is finally coming into his own (although he broke his elbow and won't play in this series). They just don't have enough to get past the deep and talented Hawks.

(4) BOS vs (5) MIA -- Boston in 5.
Boston's team defense should bottle up D-Wade and I'm not sold on Beasley being able to pick up the slack (we all know Jermaine O'Neal can't and won't get it done).

So there it is. I'll provide a new set of predictions when the next round is set. If you agree or disagree, let me know in the comments.

3 comments:

  1. Isn't George Hill injured right now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Bogut is out for the playoffs due to injury.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And Bogut (if you call a fractured elbow an injury)?

    ReplyDelete